Skip to main content

Fight back against the cost of living rise

How to take charge of your spending and make your money go further.

Students on the Parade
How can you save money?

Much has been in the news recently about the rise in the cost of living and while it may appear that little can be done about this, there are ways in which you can take charge of your spending. We have focussed on four key areas of spending as well as providing other useful information to help you make your money go further.

Utility bills

There are many simple things you can do to spend less money on gas and electricity. The Energy Saving Trust has tips on how to use less gas and electricity, where small changes may be able to save you a lot of money.

The British Gas Energy Trust is an independent charitable trust set up to help support people with their energy bills no matter which energy company you are with.

Ofwat provide suggestions as to the many ways you can save water around your home.

Food costs

Both Savethestudent and Moneysavingexpert have advice on how to save money on your food shop with the NHS providing 20 tips to eat well for less.

Travel costs

Public transport is by far the cheapest way to travel and as a student you can apply for a range of Student Bus Tickets depending on your travel needs. If you are travelling by train then you can apply for a Student Railcard for 1/3 off rail fares throughout Great Britain.

Health costs

You may be able to save money on prescriptions via the NHS Low Income Scheme or buying an NHS Prescription Prepayment Certificate.

Other useful information

There are many more top money saving tips, budgeting advice and other sources of financial help on Managing your Money. Also, please check out the 50+ tips on how to stretch your student loan via Moneysavingexpert.

Blackbullion is an easy-to-use, award-winning online learning platform to help you take control of your finances and make better financial decisions.

If you are facing financial difficulties, then you are very welcome to make an application to the Hardship Fund.