Finance for non-finance managers
This course aims to increase your understanding of Finance and Procurement.
When this course runs
Date and time: tbc
Presenters: Tom Williams, Head of Management Accounting and Tony Brett, Head of Procurement
2018/19 courses: This course will run in January only.
To book/cancel your place once a course date has been arranged - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS).
About this course
This course aims to increase your understanding of Finance and Procurement and will explore:
- the wider context of finance
- the University of Bath’s current financial position and how it’s measured
- how budgets are set and how it aligns with the strategy
- the role of a budget holder for managing resources and purchasing
- the purchasing process
- the terminology used
This is an interactive session with a range of group activities allowing participants to gain financial knowledge and confidence.
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain key financial and procurement terms
- review financial documents in use at the university
- converse with financial and procurement colleagues
- describe the procurement process
- improve your management of budgets
The pre-work for this course will be available on Moodle approximately 1 week before the course date and will take approximately 2 hours to complete.
To download the pre-work log-in and self-enrol on the Moodle course called 'Pre-work for Workforce Development (Staff Development) programmes and courses'.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Using resources effectively
- Engaging with the wider context
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for staff who:
- manage a budget or who have financial responsibility
- wish to develop their financial understanding
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support about managing budgets and finances on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: