University of Bath

Find further study: studying abroad

Find out about studying abroad options and funding.


If you want to study abroad, you'll need to:

  • Start preparing early; some applications need to be sent off in your penultimate year. Postal delays, the need to take preliminary tests, lengthy procedures including getting a visa, and sometimes differences in the academic year, all have to be allowed for.
  • Accept that arranging it will be very time-consuming.
  • Be a good candidate academically - entry is almost always competitive, and academic achievement is key.
  • Be linguistically competent - could you cope with being taught in the language? An increasing number of courses in other European countries are run in English, but certainly not all.

Finding courses and institutions

You can find information on institutions and and countries in the Prospects Study abroad section. The University of Kent Careers Service has some useful web links for finding courses abroad. Our own resources, along with some useful websites, are listed in the Further study and funding section of our resources catalogue.


Staff at Bath who have been to the institutions/countries you are interested in can be really helpful - they know the culture and methods of applying, and can support you or recommend you.

The Fulbright Commission provides online information and advice to students in the UK about opportunities to study in the USA. The Fulbright Commission also administers the Fulbright Awards Programme for UK students to study in the USA and for USA students to study in the UK.

Peterson's is a key publisher of information on studying in the USA. Their website includes information on US institutions, funding for studying in the US, and entry tests such as GRE and GMAT.

For Australia and Canada, IDP Education offers free information and advice on study at all levels, including a database of postgraduate courses.

The Association of Commonwealth Universities' office in London can help with enquiries about study in the commonwealth, and the British Council answers general questions.

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) provides information for international students on studying and working in the UK, and for UK students on studying abroad.

You can see a Careers Adviser to discuss your postgraduate study options. Book a careers appointment via MyFuture.


You might need to sit an entry test (e.g. GRE or GMAT) and include your results in your application, particularly if you are applying to the USA. For the latest information see the Fulbright Commission's pages on tests for US study or ETS (Educational Testing Service) and

Funding for study abroad

The standard sources of postgraduate funding apply only to the UK (courses which involve periods abroad can be covered, but not those based abroad).

All funding for postgraduate study abroad which is notified to us is advertised online in MyFuture - see funded postgraduate opportunities for details. We advertise ad hoc funded opportunities and regular schemes such as:

Commonwealth graduates who want to study in another commonwealth country might be eligible for a scholarship or bursary through the Association of Commonwealth Universities; some schemes are for any nationality, a few awards are tenable in any country.

In the USA, it is very common for postgraduates to pay their way by working part-time. The universities themselves often offer some teaching or clerical work, however sometimes this isn't certain until you arrive. The universities also have more scholarship support available than we have in the UK.

There is a list of other useful resources in the Further study and funding section of our resources catalogue.

Other pages on finding further study