Stage 1 - endorsement application
If you have accepted the job offer of a Professor, Associate Professor (Reader or Senior Lecturer) or Senior Group Leader, you will be made aware of this visa route by your HR Recruitment Co-ordinator as part of the recruitment process.
You will need to provide a statement of guarantee letter from the Director of Human Resources (or equivalent) at the University in order to apply for your endorsement.
In order for the Staff Immigration Team to provide a statement of guarantee from the Director of Human Resources at the University, they will need to confirm that the recruitment process for your appointment met the following criteria:
- the job was advertised and an open competition was held, or where it was not, an explanation as to why;
- the applicant has accepted the job offer;
- the job title and department in which the applicant will be based;
- at least 2 references were received;
- at least 3 academic representatives from the employing institution were on the interview panel;
- at least 1 expert in the applicant’s field was on the interview panel or at least 1 relevant expert independent of the employing institution was consulted before the job offer was made.
If this criteria has been met, the Staff Immigration Team will raise a letter for you which you can use to apply for your endorsement. This letter will be emailed to you.
As part of the online endorsement application, you will be asked to enter all your personal details. Once you complete those sections, you will be asked firstly, 'if you are applying under exceptional talent or exceptional promise criteria' in which case you need to select 'exceptional talent' and secondly, 'if you are applying for fast-track consideration', in which case you will need to select that you have been appointed to a 'senior academic or research position at a UK HEI or research institute' and state the name of your position. You will then need to upload your statement of guarantee letter to complete your application. No other documents are required at this stage.
You should receive notification that your endorsement has been successful via email within approximately 1 week.
Once you receive your endorsement confirmation, you can then apply for your visa. You must apply for your visa within 3 months of receiving your endorsement letter.
Stage 2 - apply for entry clearance or permission
You must apply online for a Global Talent Visa. How you apply depends on whether you are:
After you apply
Please refer to our guidance on the Global Talent Visa for further details.