University of Bath

How Brexit may affect your application to study at Bath

Information on how leaving the European Union affects EU and EEA applications, student tuition fees and loans, study abroad and work placements.

The UK preparing to leave the European Union

Following the triggering of Article 50 and ahead of the start of negotiations, we know you may have questions about your current or future application to study with us as the UK prepares to leave the European Union. We want to reassure you that our international outlook, the quality of our staff, and the excellence of our research and teaching have not changed. 30% of our students are from outside the UK, and we have over 100 nationalities represented on campus. We remain committed to being a truly international centre of excellence. (Updated 8 December 2017)

Fee status for EU and EEA nationals

The criteria used to determine a student’s fee status have not changed, and we do not anticipate any immediate changes.

You still qualify for tuition fees at the ‘Home/EU’ rate if you are an eligible EU or EEA national. If you are currently eligible for ‘EU’ fees and are entering in 2017 or 2018, the University of Bath will guarantee your fee status and you will remain eligible for the same fees as UK students for the duration of your course.

Fee status arrangements for 2019 entry onwards have not been confirmed by the UK Government. If you are an EU national applying for entry in 2019 or beyond we will update you on any changes to your fee status once they are known.

For the most up-to-date information regarding fee status criteria, please visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Tuition fees

If you are an EU student starting a course in, or prior to, 2018 your fees will be the same as the fees for UK students for the duration of your course. You can find fee details on our tuition fees webpages.

UK undergraduate fees are regulated by the government. These fees are subject to parliamentary approval and liable to increase annually.

We set Postgraduate Home/EU tuition fees annually and announce them in the late Autumn for the following academic year.

Student loan eligibility

The Student Loans Company (SLC) has confirmed that access to student loans is unchanged for EU or EEA students starting a university course in, or prior to, 2018 and that students qualifying for a loan will continue to eligible throughout the duration of their course.

For further details please view the statements from Jo Johnson, Minister of State for Universities and Science, on the SLC website.

EU students applying for an undergraduate or master’s course at an English university in 2018/19 2019 academic year will continue to have access to student loans and grants, even if the course concludes after the UK’s exit from the EU (21 April) Full statement.


EU nationals

If you are an EU or EEA nationals you do not currently require a visa to study in the UK. This has not changed as a result of the vote.

Applicants from outside the EU

If you are applying as a non-EU/EEA national, the vote to leave has not changed visa application processes.

Working in the UK during your studies

If you are an EU or EEA national you do not currently require a visa to study in the UK. This has not changed as a result of the vote.

Full-time students from outside the EU (or EEA) on Tier 4 Student visas are entitled to work up to 20 hours per week during term-time for the duration their courses.

Recognition of European qualifications

We continue to recognise a wide range of European qualifications for entry to undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Erasmus and Study Abroad programmes

If you are applying for the for the Erasmus+ programme in 2017, the government has confirmed that your application will be unaffected by the outcome of the UK’s referendum on EU membership.

Arrangements for students applying after 2017 are yet to be confirmed.

You can find further details on the Erasmus Plus website.

Work placements abroad

If you are British or another EU national, you are currently entitled to work anywhere in the EEA. This has not changed as a result of the vote.

We support placement opportunities throughout the world for students each year, and have significant experience helping students obtain placements both inside and outside the EU.

If you are a full-time student you are entitled to work in the UK on a placement that is a recognised part of your course, regardless of your nationality.

Research funding

It has not been confirmed if leaving the EU will affect funding for research students. If you have specific queries about your own funding please contact the Doctoral College.

The UK Government has stated that they are determined to make sure the UK continues to play a leading role in European and international research and innovation.