How to take part in 3MT® 2020
This guide tells you about eligibility, sign up, rules and judging criteria
Taking part in 3MT® 2020
Three Minute Thesis (3MT® is an academic research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia.
Taking part in 3MT® 2020 is a great opportunity to develop your skills in research communication and presentation and reach new audiences with your research. It will require you to create a concise ‘elevator pitch’ about your work in language appropriate to non-specialist audiences – a skill useful wherever your doctorate takes you!
To be eligible to take part in the competition you must be:
- registered for a doctoral degree (PhD or Professional Doctorate) at the University of Bath but not expecting to have had your doctoral viva by the date of the 3MT® final (2 June 2020)
- able to present in person at the 3MT® final on 2 June 2020
What you need to do?
You will be required to deliver a three-minute presentation to explain your research in front of a non-specialised audience, using only a single static PowerPoint slide.
Interested in taking part?
To give you more information about the competition, help you decide whether or not to take part, and to give you pointers to crafting an effective presentation why not sign up to the following workshop:
How to take part?
You will first need to complete this Expression of Interest form. Deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 15 March, 2020.
You will then be able to access the following support:
- 1:1 preparation session - an opportunity to discuss your presentation and how best to structure it
- 1:1 tailored coaching session with an external professional communications trainer
- opportunity to rehearse your presentation ahead of the 3MT competition with informal feedback from 3MT mentors
Selected students will then be invited to take part in the University of Bath 3MT® 2020 Competition Final on the evening of 2 June.
Please note: by submitting this application you are not committing to taking part in the Competition final, you are free to pull out at any time during the preparation stage.