Skip to main content
University of Bath

Information for Tier 5 workers

Understand the restrictions of Tier 5 working so you can work in accordance with the terms of your visa.

Tier 5

The University is registered as a sponsor under two categories within Tier 5:

  • Government Authorised Exchange

  • Creative and Sporting

Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)


Tier 5 (GAE) is primarily for sponsored researchers and can be issued for a maximum period of 2 years and cannot be extended beyond this time.

A sponsored researcher is a person who wishes to come to the UK to lead or to take part in any formal research project. Formal research projects are those hosted but not necessarily funded by a UK research institution including universities, non-commercial research organisations, charitable organisations and national research councils (such as the Medical Research Council). The work or activities undertaken must never amount to what the Home Office terms ‘a genuine vacancy’.

Sponsored researchers can be funded from sources in the UK or overseas.

They cannot be self-funded or registered on a PhD programme in their own country.


Further details information on Tier 5

More guidance on the requirements for sponsored researcher appointments please consider the June 2018 Sponsored Researcher guidance which has been jointly produced by the Russell Group, Universities UK, and UKRI; and approved by the Home Office.

How to initiate the request for sponsorship

Human Resources will need to issue a certificate of sponsorship which the sponsored researcher can use to apply for their UK Entry Clearance/Visa.

Human Resources will require confirmation that the Univeristy of Bath member of staff hosting the vist has obtained the appropriate authorisation from their Head of Department.

To qualify under Tier 5, the University are obliged to provide evidence of sponsorship for the full duration of the time within the UK.

This proof can be in the form of a letter to the person confirming the details of the sponsoring body.

The information required by HR will include:

  • the name of the person for whom the permit is sought

  • the name of the sponsor

  • the name of the host institution where the person will be based

  • the title of the post

  • details of the funding provided

  • the period of the sponsorship required

  • CV of the person.

HR will also need a copy of the passport, the email address and postal address of the applicant.

Tier 5 (Creative and Sporting)

Sponsorship in this tier may be available for performers invited by The Edge Arts and also potentially in the Sports Training Village.

Further details information on Tier 5

Please contact HR Visas for specific guidance on Tier 5.