Skip to main content
University of Bath

Interest-free loans

The University offers eligible members of staff interest-free loans to assist with the cost of travelling to and from work.

Public transport season tickets

If you use public transport to get to work at the University you may be eligible for a loan to cover the purchase of a season ticket.

The loan is repayable by equal deductions from payroll within the term of the season ticket. A season ticket must be valid for a minimum period of 6 months.

Download an application form

Motorcycle purchase loan

If you wish to travel to work at the University using a motorcycle, you may be eligible for a loan towards the purchase of a vehicle and associated safety equipment.

Any member of staff paid monthly through the payroll may apply. The value of loan up to a maximum of £1,500 will be deducted from net salary in 24 monthly instalments. The loan can also be used to purchase second-hand vehicles from private sellers.

You can only have one interest-free loan at any time over a 24-month period, and cannot participate in this scheme and the Cycle to work scheme at the same time.

Get a motorbike and equipment

1) Download the motorcycle purchase loan application form and read the terms and conditions.

2) Decide on your chosen vehicle or equipment.

3) Get a written quotation from the supplier or seller.

4) Complete the application form, mark it with 'Motorcycle loan application', and return to the Payroll Office.

5) Allow 10 working days for processing the application and collect your cheque.

6) Pay for your vehicle.

7) Send a copy of the vehicle’s registration document and the original receipt to the Payroll Office within one month of issue of the cheque.

Employee responsibilities

It is important that you:

  • confirm that the bike will be your main mode of travel to and from work

  • maintain the vehicle and equipment in a reasonable and safe condition

  • familiarise yourself with the full terms and conditions of the loan that are contained within the application form

  • insure tax the vehicle and insure it against theft, as you will be the legal owner. The University accepts no responsibility if the bike is lost or stolen. Payments will still be required until the end of the agreement.

If you leave the employment of the University, you will need to repay the loan in full.

If you have any further queries, contact the Payroll Supervisor.