Introduction to English Linguistics course for Erasmus+, exchange and visiting students
Find out about the course and how to apply.
A course that looks at how English works
On this 11-week course you will study different approaches and theories to analysis of the English language in order to understand how we use English to communicate, including the following:
- Phonetics and phonology – a study of English speech sounds and patterns of use
- Morphology – a study of how English words are formed
- Syntax – the rules for forming phrases and clauses in English
- Semantics and pragmatics – a focus on how we use English to create meaning
- Social aspects of English language such as gender and English in the world
- How the English language works in longer stretches of spoken and written language
There will be online recorded lecture material for you to work through independently. A 50-minute session will also run on Microsoft Teams every Tuesday from 4.15pm-5.05pm, from 2 February to 25 May 2021.
Before signing up please make sure that the day and time of these sessions do not clash with your academic timetable by checking MyTimetable.
To be awarded credits for this course, a minimum of 80% attendance is required.