Leading teams: building, motivating and developing staff
A course to develop your management practices and techniques around team building and leading and developing others.
When the course runs
- Friday 27 October 2017
- Friday 23 February 2018
- Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
2017/18 courses: This course is likely to run in October and February. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
This course aims to promote management practices and techniques which engender good team morale and also help managers when things don’t go so well. There will be a balance of theory and interactive elements, with practical outcomes for delegates.
Intended learning outcomes
After participating in this event, delegates should:
- understand their role in leading the team and have explored the different approaches, qualities and skills required of them in their own particular context
- understand relevant theories related to team dynamics and team building
- be able to uncover the strengths and weaknesses of individual team members, know how this might affect the team and how to use different people’s strengths effectively
- have practised skills to motivate, empower, reward and develop staff including being able to give effective, constructive - feedback in ‘positive’ as well as ‘difficult’ situations and set clear expectations
- be able to choose what to delegate, who to delegate to and plan how to delegate effectively
- prepare and carry out effective team communications
You will need to complete three questinonaire-style exercises prior to the course (such as a leadership styles questionnaire), taking approximately an hour in total.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Developing self and others
- Working together
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend
Managers, Supervisors & Team Leaders of all staff groups and in any department. This course will be relevant whether you manage a small or large team, whether new in role or experienced.
Book a place
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
To book a place on a published course date email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following;
- course title
- your name
- any access requirements you may have.
Or call ext. 6369.
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking.
Courses are subject to room availability. We will do our best to find rooms, but if we can't we may be forced to postpone or cancel the event.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support about leading and developing your team on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: