Managing people and teams
A two-day course for newly appointed or aspiring line managers to support you to develop your management and leadership practice and techniques.
When this course runs
Date(s) and time:
- Friday 5 October and Monday 15 October 2018, 9.30am - 4.30pm
You will be required to attend both dates listed above as this is a two day course.
To book/cancel your place once a course date has been arranged - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS).
Presenter: Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in October only. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
This two-day course is designed for newly appointed or aspiring line managers and aims to promote good management and leadership practice and techniques.
This course further develops understanding of the role of line manager, in addition to the Nuts & Bolts of Managing People.
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recall the role and responsibilities of the team leader
- Describe your preferred leadership style and identify situations when it may be appropriate to adopt a different style
- Identify the stage of development that your team is at and what leadership style would best suit their needs
- Offer, gather and interpret feedback on personal performance to improve workplace performance
- Demonstrate techniques for planning and monitoring team performance against a plan
- Recall informal steps that can be taken to address under performance in your team
- Prepare a personal development plan to improve performance.
- Describe unconscious bias and the potential impact on equality, diversity, communication, individuals and teams
- Describe how conflict might occur
- Identify how you can best prepare yourself for dealing with conflict, from an individual and team perspective
- Demonstrate and apply skills useful in conflict management and leading change
- Recall effective methods of communication to both teams and individuals
- Recall individual preferences that affect communication style
- Explain when it is appropriate to delegate to team members and how to plan ahead for the monitoring and evaluation of delegated tasks.
Before attending this course you will need to complete the pre-work, which will take approximately 1-2 hours for each of the course days. Details of pre-work will be available on the course webpage one week before the course date.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Embracing change
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
This course is suitable for:
Newly appointed or aspiring line managers, or any manager, looking to further develop their management and leadership practice and techniques.
To enable discussions during the course to be valuable to all participants we try to ensure a mix of teams attend - we therefore ask that a max. of 2 people per team attend any one course. Please contact email@example.com to discuss your requirements and options if you require more spaces.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.