On Track to Bath
On Track to Bath is a free one-year curriculum enhancement programme for local A level students to support entry to higher education.
What is On Track to Bath?
On Track to Bath is a one-year programme which will develop your independent learning and research skills and help you to make an informed choice about your future university course. You will spend time on campus and undertake your own research project with the support of some of our academic staff and current students.
On Track to Bath is for local students who meet our On Track to Bath application criteria.
The programme runs from January 2020 until December 2020. There are 12 half-day or full-day sessions, plus a 3 day on-campus residential in June 2020. Some sessions are during term time, and so we will work in partnership with your school or college to ensure that you can attend.
If you complete On Track to Bath and apply to study at the University of Bath you will be eligible for our alternative offer scheme (further details below).
Which subject areas are available?
On Track to Bath is available in five subject areas:
How will you benefit?
Throughout On Track to Bath you will attend regular sessions to support you during your A level studies and in developing the skills and confidence to succeed in higher education. You will:
- receive ongoing support throughout On Track to Bath from a Co-ordinating Tutor who will be an experienced teacher in the subject area
- attend lectures and presentations relevant to your subject area with regular support from academic specialists
- meet our departmental Admissions Tutors and work alongside some of our current students
- develop your independent learning and research skills by completing a project on a topic that you enjoy
- gain practical research experience that will support your future university studies (and any project qualifications you undertake alongside your A levels, such as the EPQ)
- participate in workshops with our some of our Admissions staff which will support you to make informed decisions about university courses and to make a competitive UCAS application
- undertake a 3 day on-campus residential which will give you a real insight into what it's like to live and study at university
You can also read this student blog to find out how you can benefit.
Alternative offer scheme
If you successfully complete On Track to Bath and apply to study at Bath your application will receive additional consideration from our Admissions Progression team.
In addition, if you achieve a B or above in your On Track project you will be eligible for an alternative offer*, which is typically a reduction by one grade in one of your A levels (e.g. for a course with a typical offer of AAA in 3 A levels an alternative offer would be AAB in 3 A levels plus a B in the On Track Project).
There are some exceptions and limitations to our alternative offer scheme. Find out more about our alternative offers for undergraduate students.
What you will be doing?
Part 1 (Year 12)
Part 1 includes three compulsory sections. You will:
- attend 10 sessions between January and June 2020 at the University of Bath designed to broaden your understanding of your chosen subject area
- complete a research project designed to develop your independent learning and research skills
- attend a 3 day on-campus residential in June 2020
Part 2 (Year 13)
Part 2 will take place across 3 sessions in September, October and December 2020. You will:
- attend workshops to help you make a competitive UCAS application, write a strong personal statement and develop your interview skills
- discover more about student life including managing your money, social life and extra-curricular activities, academic and personal support, and independent living
- online support with lots of information and advice about applications and university
Read our Student Blog to see how you could benefit from On Track to Bath.