Pathway to Bath Programme
Pathway to Bath is a free curriculum enhancement programme for students to develop skills for university and support entry to Higher Education.
What is Pathway to Bath?
Pathway to Bath is a free, online curriculum enrichment programme which gives students the chance to develop important key skills for university study by completing their own research project (or similar) while working alongside experienced university staff within a real research environment.
We offer separate Pathway to Bath programmes for A-level and BTEC students.
As a Pathway student you will:
- study an online course delivered by our academic staff which will support you to complete a research project (or other structured programme of activity, depending on your subject area), and develop key academic and employability skills. Online sessions will be released regularly between March and December 2021
- receive support to make a competitive application to study at Bath and to make a successful transition to university
- receive support on writing a personal statement, understanding the UCAS process, student finance, and much more
- get to know current students, academic and university staff, who can help provide an insight into what university life is really like and answer your questions
- take part in a celebration event in December 2021
If you study the A-level Pathway programme you will also attend an on-campus residential in Summer 2021 (subject to COVID-19 restrictions). This is a great opportunity to experience what it’s like to live and study at our campus while working with some of our Student Ambassadors and researchers to complete your research project.
Available subject areas
- Business and Economics
- Engineering (Civil, Chemical, Mechanical,Electrical and Electronic)
- Health and Social Sciences (Criminology, Education, Health, Politics, Pharmacy, Psychology, Sociology)
- Languages (French, German or Spanish)
- Robotics and Computer Science
- Science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics)
BTEC programme (focused on supporting Maths knowledge and expertise in Level 3 BTEC Extended diploma qualifications)
- IT or Computing
- Sport and Exercise Science
How you will benefit
- develop key skills for university and beyond through self-directed learning and teamwork
- complete your own research project (or similar) with access to our people, resources and expertise to prepare you for success in Higher Education
- improve your knowledge of your chosen subject area and develop your independent learning and key skills (which can be transferred to an Extended Project Qualification)
- meet other like-minded students with similar study interests and future plans
Our current students and staff will also help you to make an informed choice about your future university study, and support you to make a competitive UCAS application.
Alternative Offer (A-level programme only)
If you successfully complete Pathway to Bath (A-level) and apply to study at Bath you will receive additional consideration during the application process.
In addition, if you attend satisfactorily and achieve a B or above in your Pathway to Bath project you will be eligible to receive an alternative offer. This alternative offer is typically a reduction of one grade in one of your A-levels. For example, an alternative offer for a course with a typical offer of AAA would be AAB plus a B in the Pathway to Bath project. Find out about the limitations and exemptions to our alternative offers.
Guaranteed Offer (BTEC programme only)
If you successfully complete Pathway to Bath (BTEC) and apply to study at Bath you will receive additional consideration during the application process.
In addition, if you complete the programme satisfactorily, achieve a B or above in your Pathway to Bath project, apply to study a directly related course at Bath, and meet our typical entry requirements for that course you will be guaranteed to receive a conditional offer (any conditional offer made would be the typical offer as listed in the entry requirements section of our course pages.
Who can apply
Pathway to Bath is aimed at academically-able Year 12 students who are considering applying to study at Bath.
You will need to show that you are on track to meet our typical offer for your chosen course (take a look at our course pages for details of our typical offers) and you will also need to meet one or more of our Widening Participation criteria.
Supporting a student on the programme
We offer additional support to parents and carers of all students on the Pathway to Bath programme. Through an online portal, we will give parents an introduction and insight into the university processes as well as direct access to our staff, students, admissions tutors and course tutors to answer any questions or concerns parents/carers may have. We will also provide regular updates on what their child is doing on Pathway to Bath and information on key aspects of university, including:
- How to apply to university
- Student finance – the myths and realities
- How your child can find universities and courses
- How parents/carers can support their child with their studies
How to apply
We will be opening for applications to Pathway to Bath in November 2020. To register your interest and receive further information once applications open, simply complete our online form to register your interest.
When applying you will need to:
- provide details of your current qualifications (eg A-Levels or BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma) and previous qualifications (eg GCSEs)
- submit a statement to explain why you want to study Pathway to Bath
- provide contact details for your parents/carers
- provide contact details of a teacher to who can provide a reference