People at the Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
Details of academics and other researchers who work in the centre.
Dr Apala Majumdar (Director)
Apala specialises in the mathematics of materials sciences, with emphasis on liquid crystals and problems at the physical sciences-engineering interface. She has extensive international networks in China, India and Chile and has worked with physicists, experimentalists and with leading industrial companies such as Hewlett Packard and Merck.
Chris is Professor of Applied Mathematics and specialises in industrial applied mathematics and mathematical modelling. He was the lead organiser of the European Study Group with Industry at Bath in July 2018 and is nationally acclaimed for his outreach work.
Paul is Professor of Mathematics and Head of Department of Mathematical Sciences. He has extensive expertise in fluid mechanics, mathematical biology and has wide international contacts in USA and Brazil.
Johannes is Professor of Mathematics with expertise in multi-scale methods for dynamic problems. He uses methods from PDEs, Calculus of Variations and probability and has ample experience of working with physicists and materials scientists.
Marcin is a theoretical physicist interested in the electronic, optical and mechanical properties of a new class of materials, two-dimensional atomic crystals, and the related physical phenomena.
Members from other departments
- Ms Ruma Maity IIT Bombay. 15 October - 1 December 2018
- Ms Lingling Zhao, Dalian University of Science & Technology. 1 October 2018 - 31 March 2019.
- Ms Yucen Han, Peking University. 15 October - 15 November 2018
- Mr Lidong Fang, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 15 October - 15 November 2018
- Evelyn Cueva Jaramillo, Universidad de Chile, 1 October 2018 - 28 February 2019
- Brendo Raphaldini, University of Sao Paulo, 1 July 2018 - 1 February 2019