Project Support Award for Inspirational Teachers
Recognising the additional support teachers give students to strengthen their University application. Awards are based on nominations from students.
Our teachers award
We want to reward teachers for the important role they play in supporting students on additional project work for progression to University. We have asked first year students who have previously attended a school or college with a limited history of sending students to Bath, to nominate a teacher for the award.
The value of project work
We believe project qualifications provide excellent preparation for study at University level due to the study skills and independent writing skills that they help develop. We have such confidence in the benefits for higher education that we make alternate A level offers which are lower by one grade, where the student applies with an additional EPQ, Cambridge Pre-U, or Welsh BACC core project. We also offer a free online tool, our EPQ support MOOC, to help any student undertaking an EPQ.
Recognising students and teachers
To complete an additional project students rely on guidance, plus practical and emotional support from an inspirational and encouraging teacher. Starting this academic year, as well as recognising the value for the student of the additional project, we want to encourage and reward the school and college staff who support students in their project work. This area of work is often extra-curricular, for busy teachers as well as their students.
Nominations and selection
Our selection panel brings together skills and expertise from across the University:
- Emeritus Professor, Jeff Thompson (Dept. of Education)
- Deputy Head of the Skills Centre, Sarah Williment (Panel Chair)
- Admissions Manager (Progression), Hannah Thompson
- Widening Participation Outreach Officer, Sophie Kirtley
- Recruitment Manager, Sue Garrett (Panel secretary)
There are many inspirational teachers but it takes remarkable dedication and one to one support to motivate a student to complete independent project work.The panel will be looking for teachers who:
- motivated the student to take on an independent project
- went above and beyond the remit of their regular workload to inspire the student
- offered practical support and resources
- gave the student confidence to work independently
- helped the student complete the project to expand their Higher Education options
Prizes and awards ceremony
As well as a chance to give something back to a teacher, shortlisted teacher's nominees will be given a £20 Amazon voucher.
The teacher’s prize will be:
- an invitation to an awards reception and ceremony followed by a complimentary night’s stay for two at a Bath Hotel
- £500 for the school or college
- an award trophy to take back to school
- an invitation to contribute to ongoing development of the Bath EPQ MOOC and to contribute to our Teachers Conference in June
See more details about last year's teachers support award winners, announced in January 2018.