Skip to main content
University of Bath

Providing evidence for Individual Mitigating Circumstances

How to provide evidence, and what to provide, when you are making a claim for Individual Mitigating Circumstances (IMCs)

Reporting Individual Mitigating Circumstances (IMCs)

This guidance has been updated for the 2020 supplementary assessment period.

The University describes IMCs as 'conditions which temporarily prevent a student from undertaking assessment or significantly impair the student’s performance in assessment: as such, the measure of their severity is not about impact on the student, but impact on the assessment'.

You can find examples of circumstances that are normally considered IMCs in the document What are IMCs?. It also explains the circumstances that are unlikely to be considered IMCs.

If you believe an examination or other assessment has been affected by an IMC, or that an IMC has prevented you from undertaking an examination or other assessment, you can report your situation to the University using the IMC form.

You can speak to your Director of Studies or personal tutor for guidance. Independent advice about the IMCs process is available from the SU Advice & Support Centre.

Full guidance on the process for reporting IMCs can be found in our guide Reporting individual mitigating circumstances to the University

Providing evidence

No detriment measures: If you do decide to make a claim for Individual Mitigating Circumstance for your Semester 2 or supplementary assessments, you should note that we have waived the requirement for formal evidence (for example, a note from a doctor) due to the circumstances and the pressures on the NHS and other health services. You should just make sure to tell us what happened and how it affected your assessment.

Handling your information

Your IMC report form and any evidence you provide will be handled in accordance with the University’s Data Protection statement for student registration.

The full detail of your IMC claim will be considered by the IMC Panel. If your IMCs are accepted, your circumstances will be taken into account by the Board of Examiners for Programmes. If you would like only the broad detail of your circumstances to be made known to the Board of Examiners for Programmes, please speak to your Director of Studies about the best way to summarise.

Advice and support

You should speak to your Director of Studies or Personal Tutor as soon as possible if you are concerned about your ongoing academic performance.

We encourage you to let us know in advance of your assessments if you think any circumstances might affect them, so that other arrangements can be made, if appropriate, and so that you can get advice.

If you have questions about the process for claiming IMCs, you should talk to your Director of Studies in the first instance, or if you’re studying on our Online MSc courses, contact your Student Support Co-ordinator. Your department, Faculty or School may also provide guidance about this.

The SU Advice & Support Centre can provide independent guidance and confidential support to you and can assist you when you are preparing an IMC report form. They will work with you to understand and help you detail your circumstances on the form and can review any drafts of the form before you submit it. They can also help identify further support available to you and provide ongoing support where needed.

Student Services’ Wellbeing Service offers counselling and other student support.

Student Services’ Disability Service offers support to students with a disability.