SDPR: Conducting an effective review
A mandatory course for all line managers before conducting your first Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR) at the University.
When this course runs
Date(s) and time:
- Wednesday 17 October 2018, 9.30am - 1.00pm
To book/cancel your place - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS)
Presenter: Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, October, April, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
This workshop will enable you to conduct effective reviews for those you line manage by focusing on the purpose and principles of an effective review conversation. The course will cover:
- preparing for the review meeting
- conducting the review meeting
- key skills around using questions, active listening and feedback - techniques
- setting SMART objectives
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- explain why performance and development reviews are carried out
- describe the principles of a review meeting
- describe and demonstrate some of the skills involved in carrying out a review
- recall where to find internal training and development provision
Before attending this course you will need to:
- think about someone you will be reviewing and any recent tasks or projects they have completed, and potential performance objectives
- familiarise yourself with the relevant SDPR forms and related guidance
- complete the online ‘Staff Development & Performance Review (SDPR)’ module on Moodle (accessed via self-enrolment)
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
This course is suitable for all managers and supervisors, other than those working in Education and Research job family, who will be conducting an SDPR for the first time at the University.
It is now mandatory to attend this course before reviewing your staff.
If you are a manager within the Education and Research job family (i.e. reviewing academic, research and teaching staff), please complete the ‘SDPR for Education and Research Staff' course.
'SDPR: Getting the most out of you review': a shorter workshop for first-time reviewees to reflect the fact that it takes two to make a positive review experience.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
You must book a place in advance to attend this course – you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: