SDPR for Education and Research Staff
A course for all staff in the Education and Research job family to help you prepare for your Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR).
When this course runs
Date(s) and time:
- Friday 11 January 2019, 10.30am-12.00pm
To book/cancel your place - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS)
Presenter: Dr Simon Inger, Talent Development Manager
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, January, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
The session will work chronologically through the SDPR process, explaining the aims of the different steps, and discuss some case studies that illustrate the kinds of issues and conversations that may arise. It emphasises:
- giving balanced, constructive feedback
- setting goals in the context of the department, the University and the staff member’s career
- listening and questioning
- planning for the review meeting; setting and managing the agenda
- agreeing responsibility for future actions, so that the process has long-term momentum
Intended learning outcomes
After attending this workshop, you will be able to:
- explain the purpose and benefits of a well-conducted staff review process
- use the documentation to focus and record the outcomes of an open, constructive discussion
- conduct a discussion meeting to review performance, give feedback, agree future objectives and development needs
This course has no pre-work.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
Members of academic, teaching and research staff who:
- will be reviewing staff under the University’s SDPR (“appraisal”) scheme
- are about to be reviewed for the first time, or have previously found review meetings difficult to prepare for and attend
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
You must book a place in advance to attend this course – you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: