What did doctoral students say?
• 84% were satisfied with their overall experience.
• 91% said their supervisor had the skills and knowledge to support their research
• 79% agreed they had access to the specialist resources necessary for their research
• 77% said their confidence in being creative and innovative has developed during their programme
• 68% had developed contacts and professional networks during their time at Bath
• 63% had undertaken paid teaching work at the university. That’s 12% more than last year and more doctoral students
received formal training for their teaching too.
• 60% believed the research culture in their department or faculty was stimulating for their research
• 55% thought that their feedback was valued by the university
If you want to know more, check out all the feedback we’ve received from your colleagues and what different departments and services are planning to do about.
What happens with this feedback?
The Doctoral College, working in partnership with The SU, Bath, doctoral students and their elected representatives, will drive forward improvements and the sharing of best practice based on what you have told us. This will happen at the University level through University Doctoral Studies Committee, at Faculty and Department level through Doctoral SSLCs and at programme level through conversations and consultations with doctoral students and Doctoral Academic Reps.
PRES is a national survey run at higher education institutions across the country and so we also benchmark our performance and the experiences of our doctoral students across the sector in order to help us enhance and improve.
So what now?
As a doctoral student, there are lots of ways for you to become involved with enhancing the postgraduate research experience at Bath.
You can become a Doctoral Academic Rep and act as a channel for information between doctoral students and the university whist championing the needs of your colleagues.
You can speak directly to your department, the Doctoral College and The SU, Bath to highlight good practice and suggest ideas on improvements you’d like to see.
You can apply to the Doctoral College Activities Fund, the Students’ Union Doctoral Students’ Fund or to the Change Champions scheme for funding to run your own project on an area you’re passionate about.
At the very least, you should complete PRES 2019 to give us your thoughts and feedback.