Skip to main content

The EU Settlement Scheme

Information for staff on the EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

A set of FAQs has also been developed which you may find helpful.

What does it mean for me?

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family members can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. You must usually have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you will need to continue to live, work and study here in the UK. This status means that you continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements

Who is eligible to apply?

  • you need to apply if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen, this includes those with a UK permanent residence document. You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, or you are an Irish citizen, but you can if you want to.
  • you need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you have been a resident in the UK for five continuous years or more you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status
  • you must not be a serious or persistent criminal, a threat to national security, or have a deportation order, exclusion order or exclusion decision against you

Irish citizens do not need to apply to the scheme to protect their rights in the UK, though they are able to do so if they want to. You can apply if you have a family member who is an eligible person of Northern Ireland whether you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or not.

The EU Settlement Scheme applies to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Family members

  • If you are an EU citizen living in the UK, you and your family members can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Family members do not need to be from the EU; they can come from anywhere in the world (known as non-EU family members)
  • Close family members include spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners, dependant children and grandchildren, and dependant parents and grandparents
  • Close family members who are not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 can join you in the UK at any point in the future. They will need to be able to show their relationship to you and it must still exist when they apply to come to the UK. For more information on close family members, visit GOV.UK
  • Children born or adopted after 31 December 2020 will also have their rights protected

When can I apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open and you have until 30 June 2021 to apply.

How does the application process work?

You can access the application online using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. Your application saves automatically, so if you want to, you can start your application and then complete it at another time. It is free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Basic information

The application asks for basic information like your name, address, contact details and nationality.

Proof of identity

Verify your identity and nationality using your passport, national identity card, or biometric residence card (if you are a non-EU citizen).

Proof of residence

Prove your residence in the UK by providing your National Insurance number, if you have one. Other documentation may be used, or required, to show proof of residence.

Criminality check

Complete the criminality check by declaring any criminal convictions. Only serious or persistent criminality will affect your application. This will not affect the vast majority of EU citizens and their family members.

You can get support over the phone or in person if you need online assistance.

Key things to know about the application

Proof of identity

To verify your identity you will need a valid passport or national identity card. If you are a non-EU citizen you can use a valid passport, biometric residence card or biometric residence permit. When you apply, you will be able to either:

  • scan your identity document using the EU Exit ID Document Check app on an Android phone or iPhone 7 and above device. You will need either a valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or ID card if it is biometric or a UK-issued biometric residence card
  • visit an ID document scanning location which provides access to an Android device. A list of locations can be found on GOV.UK
  • send your identity document in the post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself). Once you start your application you will be provided with the address. You must send your document by post if you have a non-EU or non-EEA passport, biometric residence permit or non-biometric ID card

You will need to provide a digital photo of yourself which will be checked to make sure it matches the photograph on your identity document. Non-EU citizens will also need to provide fingerprint biometrics if they have not already done so, for the purposes of being issued a biometric residence card.

Proof of residence

  • there are a number of ways to provide evidence of your residence. Providing your National Insurance number (if you have one) should help you prove your residence in the UK.
  • there may be cases where residence cannot be proven automatically in this way and additional evidence may be required. You can easily submit further evidence online by uploading photos or scanning your documents into your application. For a list of suggested evidence that is accepted, visit GOV.UK.

If you want to apply for pre-settled status you will need to show that you moved to the UK before 31 December 2020 and that, since your last entry to the UK before 31 December 2020, you have not been absent for more than six months (or for more than twelve months if the absence was for an ‘important reason’).

If you want to apply for settled status you will need to show that you have lived in the UK for five continuous years, starting before 31 December 2020.

Continuity of residence is generally broken by absences of more than six months in any one year. However, not all absences of more than six months break the continuity. In particular, you will not have broken the continuity of your residence if during the five-year qualifying residence, you were outside of the UK for one single period of absence of up to 12 months, and the absence was for an ‘important reason’. For example, pregnancy, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training, an overseas posting or some absences due to COVID-19.

Approval and your status

Pre-settled status

  • if you receive pre-settled status (also known as limited leave to remain or enter) this means you can stay in the UK for a period of five years. This will allow you to remain in the UK until you are eligible for settled status, generally once you have lived continuously in the UK for five years.

Settled status

  • if you receive settled status (also known as indefinite leave to remain or enter) this means there is no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK

You will usually be able to apply for British citizenship 12 months after you have received settled status.


Successful applicants will get digital proof of their status through an online service. Your family members who are from outside the EU will receive a biometric residence card if they do not already have one.

  • your status will be stored electronically by the Home Office. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK.
  • you will be able to prove your rights to others online, including employers. Help will be available if you have difficulties using online services.
  • there will be no changes to Right to Work checks on EU, EEA or Swiss citizens until 30 June 2021. If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you can continue to use your passport or national identity card as proof of your rights until 30 June 2021.

Support available

The EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre

For individual questions about your application call 0300 123 7379.

ID document scanning service

This service is available to complete the identity verification step if you do not have access to the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. There may be an administrative fee to use this service. For a list of ID document scanning locations, visit GOV.UK.

The Staff Immigration Team

The Staff Immigration Team in HR are providing support to staff who are considering making an application. If you need assistance, please contact

Applying for the scheme from outside of the UK

The Home Office have produced guidance on how to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if you are currently outside the UK.