The Ko PhD Scholarships
Find out if you're eligible to apply for a scholarship programme for Chinese students studying for a PhD in the Faculty of Science or Engineering and Design.
About the scholarships
The Ko Scholarships have been created thanks to a gift from alumnus Mr Mickey Ko (BSc Economics 1976), who wishes to support academically able Chinese students studying for a PhD in either the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Engineering and Design.
The scholarship will provide a stipend to cover living costs and an allowance for research related costs for each year of study (up to a maximum of four years). The value of the scholarship will depend on the applicant’s financial position and the extent of matched funding available to the applicant. The maximum available will be £20,000 per year.
The successful applicant will also receive a University scholarship to the value of 50% of the applicable overseas tuition fees.
The Scholarship programme is open for applications until 22 January 2018.
- be planning to undertake a PhD in October 2018 in either the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Engineering and Design and have identified a supervisor for their project
- be a citizen and permanent resident of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
- fulfil the relevant entry requirements of the University of Bath, including a high level of English language proficiency, and be issued with an offer letter from the University
- have achieved (or be predicted to achieve) a minimum of a 2:1 or equivalent in their undergraduate degree
- satisfy applicable visa requirements
In keeping with the philanthropic traditions of the Ko family, priority for the scholarship will be given to students who can demonstrate financial disadvantage (see below) and preference will be given to those who are permanent residents in Anhui province (who should provide evidence of this).
Applicants may be in receipt of funding from other sources, for example the China Scholarship Council.
Financial statement in support of your application
Please provide a supporting statement of up to 500 words explaining your financial circumstances and why you would benefit from the Ko PhD scholarship. This will be considered by the selection panel alongside your application.
You will need to provide evidence (in English) of the following:
- details of all your bank/savings/investment accounts stating the current balance for each. If you are being supported by your family, please provide details of their accounts as well as your own.
- household income – yourself/partner/spouse and parent/guardian (if they are supporting you)
- details of any disability or chronic medical condition which incurs extra costs
- give details of any financial dependents who are resident with you
- evidence of other scholarships or bursaries you have been awarded for this programme, or any other sources of funding available to you
The financial statement and documents provided as evidence should be uploaded along with your application. This information will be shared only with those involved in the recruitment process.
By submitting this financial statement, you are declaring that the information that you have given on this form is correct and complete to the best of your knowledge. If you provide false information you will automatically be ineligible for the award.
Application and selection
Candidates should apply directly for admission to the University of Bath before the application closing date of 22 January 2018, stating clearly that you wish to apply for the Ko Scholarship.
Applications will be considered by a panel comprising the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research), the Deans of Engineering & Design and Science and the Director of Development and Alumni Relations. A shortlist will be provided to the scholarship donor to select the successful recipient.
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application by the end of March 2018.
Applicants may be invited to meet the donor and the award recipient will be required to keep the Ko family informed of their academic progress for the duration of the award.