Tier 4 basics – an introduction to student immigration
A session for staff working with students with a Tier 4 visa which introduces immigration requirements as well as when and how to refer students for advice.
When the course runs
Date and time:
Presenter: Carole Cox, Student Immigration Services, Office of the University Secretary.
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in December and April. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
To book/cancel your place once a course date has been arranged - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS).
About this course
This course is aimed at staff who are new to the University and/or are new to the area of student immigration and will:
- give you an overview of the student immigration system and the University’s responsibilities as a sponsor of students on Tier 4 visas.
- cover the immigration requirements and considerations at each stage of the student journey from application to post-graduation.
- explain the work of the Student Immigration Service and when and how to refer students for advice.
This session will be interactive and include TurningPoint technology, so we would encourage you to bring a mobile device (phone, tablet, IPad, etc.) to the session.
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify which students need a visa and the main requirements for a Tier 4 visa
- Describe the University’s main responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor and key considerations
- Apply the knowledge gained to be able to refer students for advice as necessary
This session has no pre-work, however we encourage you to bring a mobile device (phone, tablet, IPad, etc.) to the session to use for interactive elements.
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Delivering excellent service
- Finding solutions
- Using resources effectively
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
This course is suitable for:
- Professional Services and academic staff who are new to the University and/or new to the area of student immigration.
- Any member of staff working with students with a Tier 4 visa, whether new to the area or as a refresher.
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
Once a course date has been arranged you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS). You must book a place to be able attend.
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.