Travel Fund for teaching development
Find out how to apply for funding to cover registration and travel costs to attend conferences and events that support best practice in teaching and learning.
The TDF (Teaching Development Fund) has a Travel Fund to enable members of staff who teach and/or support student learning to attend events that support best practice in learning and teaching.
Staff can apply for funding to attend and contribute to a national or international network, meeting, event or conference with a view to one or more of the following:
- disseminating best practice
- establishing inter-institutional and discipline-specific collaborations
- benchmarking the University's practice nationally or internationally.
Funding can be used towards registration costs, travel and associated expenses. Please note that the TDF Travel Fund supports activities that relate to learning and teaching, not content or curriculum. The fund does not support attendance at research or discipline conferences.
To ensure fair allocation, the maximum amount an individual may claim is £500.
How to apply for funding
Funding is available on a first-come-first-served basis. Funding requests will be accepted on an ad hoc basis until all the funds are allocated or by the end of July 2019 (whichever is earlier).
To apply for funding, send a request for support to the Centre for Learning & Teaching at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following information with your request:
- name and date of conference or event
- rationale for attendance, including benefit to the individual and the University
- total amount requested with a breakdown of estimated costs. Please note that if you are successful, the funding will be paid as a lump sum and no additional expenses may be claimed after the event
- electronic signature of the applicant's Associate Dean (Learning & Teaching) to verify that the event meets the fund's criteria
Funding applications will be considered and approved by the Chair of the TDF Sub-Committee.
If your application is successful, payment will be made:
- either before the event as a lump sum into the attendee's K account
- or after the event as expenses against receipts
Reporting back about your funding
Following the conference or event, evidence of attendance must be submitted to the TDF Sub-Committee. Please email this to email@example.com together with a brief synopsis of outcomes, any learnings and other useful information that you would like to share.