UG to PGT Study Programme
The University is offering students applying for 2020 Postgraduate taught courses a special programme of online support during August and September 2020.
Supporting your move to Postgraduate study
Are you graduating this summer and considering continuing your studies at Postgraduate level? Do you need help understanding the options available to you and advice on how you will finance further study? Are you concerned about the move from Undergraduate to Postgraduate-level study and what skills you will need to be successful?
We are pleased to offer students applying for our 2020 entry Postgraduate taught programmes a special online programme of support during August and September 2020. Launching on 3 August, this programme is available to all applicants, whether you completed your Undergraduate degree with us in Bath or elsewhere.
The programme will include:
- Academic study options: online information about all aspects of Postgraduate study, from course options to costs and application deadlines. You can access helpful information and advice on applications through our Careers Service blog – we recommend taking a look at the categories on advice, applications and postgraduate study.
- Three online skills development modules will explain the differences between Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses and help you develop the key academic skills required to succeed at this level. You can access these modules at a time to suit you.
- Session one - Getting started: identify the skills you already have and the skills you will need to develop to succeed in your postgraduate studies.
- Session two - Critical reading to critical writing: develop your critical approach to reading and writing and learn how to write with greater depth.
- Session three - Communication: review the attributes of a good verbal communicator and learn how to apply these skills in academic presentations and seminars, with a focus on how to work well in groups.
- Advanced Literature Searching Skills from the Library: learn how to search more effectively, plan an expert search in a library database, and manage your search results, citations and references.
- Integrating employability: a pre-arrival course from our Careers Service designed to help you think about what you want from your postgraduate course, develop your employability skills during your studies and support with planning the next steps in your career. Each pathway contains useful information, practical activities, and reflective questions. You can access this course at any time to suit you. Later in the year, you will benefit from a wide range of support offered by our Careers Service.
- Virtual coffee mornings: informal online meetings hosted by the Library, Career Service and the Students' Union. These will give you the chance to find out about support available for Postgraduate students and ask the SU PG Officer any questions you have about life as a Postgraduate student. There will be three meetings, all on Thursday mornings at 11:15am, and registration for these events is now open:
You can also read about what to expect if you make the move from undergraduate to postgraduate study in this Academic Skills blog.
Postgraduate progression award
For graduates of the University of Bath, we've created an award to help support you to continue studying here and develop your career. Our postgraduate progression award is a token of our appreciation for your choice to stay part of our community.
You can find out more about whether you’re eligible for a 20% discount off postgraduate tuition fees for the 2020/21 academic year, if you graduated from Bath in December 2019 or finished your studies in 2019/20 academic year.