Skip to main content
University of Bath

Understand the different hourly paid worker contracts available

This guidance applies to hourly paid workers with the exception of those who hold a Student / Tier 4 visa.

Hourly paid workers (except for Student / Tier 4 visa holders)

This guidance applies to hourly paid workers with the exception of those who hold a Student / Tier 4 visa. There is a separate booking and payment process for all Student / Tier 4 visa holders, which they must follow in order to be paid. It is designed to protect them and the University from breaching their maximum weekly working hours, which would have extremely serious consequences for both.

If you are a Student / Tier 4 visa holder or are engaging a Student / Tier 4 student as an hourly paid worker you must always follow the Student / Tier 4 Worker booking process.

If you need to engage an hourly paid worker, please make use of those already registered in your department by checking the hourly paid listing.

If there are no suitable candidates available, you will need to request a new hourly paid worker.

Please note that no new hourly paid worker or Variable Hours Teaching Fellow can carry out any work  or be paid for any work in the University until the University has verified their right to work in the UK and the worker has a signed contract in place.

It's important that individuals are only engaged on an hourly paid basis where it is appropriate to do so. Read the guidance for more information.

Variable Hours Teaching Fellows

Variable Hours Teaching Fellows help support academic staff and contribute to the teaching activities across the university. Find out more about variable hours Teaching Fellows.

Getting paid as an hourly paid worker inc. Variable Hours Teaching Fellows

Hourly paid workers including Variable Hours Teaching Fellows must complete and submit timesheets in order to receive payment through the Payroll.

Before submitting or authorising a timesheet for the first time, read the timesheet guidance.


If you have not been informed by your manager that your department is set up to use e-timesheets, you should submit timesheets via the Hourly Paid Tool. For Student / Tier 4 visa holders, if you have received a booking via the Student / Tier 4 Booking System, you will receive an email which contains your timesheet along with guidance on how to submit this.

If you have positions in more than one department, you will only be able to use e-timesheets for those positions within the departments that have gone live with e-timesheets, the other roles will need to have timesheets submitted via the Hourly Paid Tool.

Use our position checker to access a timesheet

In your first month, if you have returned your contract, but your position does not show, please use the blank timesheet template.

If you are a student and your job does not appear, contact HR.


Electronic timesheets (e-timesheets) are being introduced across the University.

If your position is in a department that is set up for e-timesheets, further information is available