Skip to main content
University of Bath

Using the Student and Tier 4 visa worker booking system as a full-time student

You can use the Student and Tier 4 visa worker booking system to make sure you don't exceed the number of hours you're entitled to work.

When to use the Student and Tier 4 visa worker booking system

You are only allowed to work a certain number of hours in the UK if you are a full-time student on a Student or Tier 4 visa:

  • no more than 10 per week in term-time if your course is below degree level (e.g. a Foundation or Pre-Sessional course)
  • no more than 20 hours per week in term-time if your course is at degree level
  • a full-time role (36.5 hours) during University vacation

If you exceed the limit, your visa could be cut short and you could be required to leave the UK.

You are not allowed to work if you are on a part-time Student or Tier 4 visa.

The University has developed a system to protect you and the University. If you have a Student / Tier 4 visa and are employed by the University of Bath, you must use the Student and Tier 4 visa worker Booking System. You will only be paid for work completed at the University that has been booked in the booking system.

The booking system uses information about your visa type, course status and the academic calendar to work out the maximum hours that you are allowed to work in a particular week. It will not allow you to book more hours yo work than your visa states.

Your responsibilities

It is your responsibility to make sure you do not exceed the total number of hours of work allowed on your visa.

Before you agree to carry out any work, you must make sure it would not mean you work more hours than you are permitted, especially if you do other work, paid or unpaid, for any other organisation.

For example, if you are booked for work during a term-time week, the maximum number of hours of combined paid and unpaid work that you can do that week is 20 hours. So, if you are booked for 16 hours of paid work that week, and you complete four hours of unpaid or voluntary work as well, then you can do no more work at the University, or for an outside organisation, that week.

Getting a National Insurance number

You must get a National Insurance Number if you wish to work in the UK. You can find out more about this from several sources:

Who the booking system is for

Current students

The Student and Tier 4 visa worker Booking System is for paid workers only. To use the system, you must be a current full-time student at the University, and a Student or Tier 4 visa holder.


You will not appear on the booking system if you have graduated. As a graduated student on a Student / Tier 4 visa, you are entitled to work full-time (36.5 hours per week) until the end of your visa.


Postgraduate taught students writing up a dissertation

'Term-time' includes any time spent writing up your dissertation. Work is therefore restricted to 20 hours per week. You cannot work full-time until your official end date on SAMIS.

If you submit your dissertation early you are not permitted to work full-time until your actual course end date.

Doctoral students

'Vacation time' is five weeks over the course of a year, from September to August (plus Bank Holidays and University Closure days). Vacation must be agreed with the Supervisor. You can work full-time during vacation time that has been agreed with your supervisor and authorised using the authorised absence form available on SAMIS online. You must submit a request under the 'VACATION' category.

You can request a longer period of vacation in between submitting your dissertation and completing your viva, but this must be authorised by your Director of Studies using the authorised absence form available on SAMIS online. You must submit a request under the 'POST SUBMISSION' category.

You are restricted to 20 hours per week from the date of your viva until your degree is awarded.

What documents you need to provide

As a Student / Tier 4 visa holder, having the right to study in the UK does not mean that you automatically have the right to work. For hourly paid work, you need to provide documentation detailing your right to work in the UK including:

  • your current passport
  • a valid visa in your current passport or a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), supported by a current valid passport
  • evidence of vacation dates (undergraduate students can print these from the University website. Postgraduate students will need to get confirmation from their faculty by email or letter)

For a full list please visit the UKCISA website.

How the booking system works

Before you start working, you must make sure that:

  • you have stated you are able to undertake hourly paid work
  • you have signed your contract (online)

You will be set up on the system once your contract is signed. Your engaging manager (the person who you will be working for) will then book the hours that they want you to work.

The booking system will then send you an email which details the numbers of hours you have been booked to work for, and a timesheet.

Once the work has been completed you should complete and return the timesheet to your manager. Once this has been approved it will then be sent to the Payroll department, and payment for your work will be processed.

You must not undertake any work before receiving the email. Once authorised, your line manager will submit your timesheet to Payroll for approval.