University of Bath

Using the Tier 4 Visa worker booking system as an employer

You can use the Tier 4 worker booking system to make sure employees on a Tier 4 visa don't exceed the number of hours that they are entitled to work.

Why access the Tier 4 worker booking system

Students with a Tier 4 visa are subject to working restrictions. The Tier 4 booking system uses information about a student's visa type, course status and the academic calendar to determine the maximum hours they are allowed to work in a particular week.

To maintain their Tier 4 immigration status, a student must not exceed the number of hours they are entitled to work. Visa compliance is essential and takes precedence over any work commitments. If a visa limit is exceeded, a student's visa could be curtailed and they would be required to leave the UK. The University may be fined and have its Tier 4 Sponsor Licence withdrawn.

If you are looking to employ a student with a Tier 4 visa you should only do so through the new Tier 4 Worker Booking System.

Documents required

This information details the documents that you will need to seek before being able to employ a Tier 4 visa student. However, this should only be attempted by a member of staff who is fully trained in checking identity documents. If you are not yet trained in this and would like to, or are likely to, hire a Tier 4 visa student in the future, please contact HR before taking any further steps.

As a University representative, you are responsible for checking an individual's eligibility to work documents. To employ a student working under a Tier 4 Visa you must obtain the following documents, as set out by the Home Office:

  • List A (contains the range of documents which you may accept for an individual who has a permanent right to work in the UK)

  • List B (contains the range of documents which may be accepted for an individual who has a temporary right to work in the UK)

For each document, you should:

  • check that photographs are consistent with the appearance of the employee/worker (this means you must see them in person)
  • check any dates of birth listed are consistent across documents and that you are satisfied that these correspond with the appearance of the employee/worker
  • check that the expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK have not passed - only a current valid visa in a current passport or Biometric Residence Permit (supported by a current valid passport) will confirm the right to work. Please note that Tier 4 students who have a right to study may not automatically have a right to work in the UK. An in-date visa in an expired passport does not give the holder a right to work in the UK.
  • check any UK Government endorsements (stamps, visas, etc.) to see if your prospective or current employee/worker is able to do the type of work you are offering
  • satisfy yourself that the documents are valid and genuine, have not been tampered with and belong to the holder
  • if your employee/worker gives you two documents which have different names, ask them for a further document to explain the reason for this. The further document could be a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, a deed poll or statutory declaration.

Copy/scan documents

You must make a copy of the relevant page or pages of each document in a format which cannot be subsequently altered. Typically, you should do this by photocopying and/or scanning the documents.

In the case of a passport or other travel document, the following parts must be photocopied and/or scanned:


Any page with:

  • the document expiry date
  • nationality
  • date of birth
  • signature
  • leave expiry date
  • biometric details
  • photograph
  • information indicating the holder has an entitlement to enter or remain in the UK and undertake the work in question

Any other documents

The document in full, including:

  • both sides of a Biometric Residence Permit
  • an Application Registration Card
  • a Residence Card (biometric format)

Each document should be photocopied and/or scanned separately and include the following declaration: 'Date on which this right to work check was made'. The declaration must be signed and dated by the person conducting the check and their name written legibly so it is clear who has completed the check.

You can find out more information on document verification here.

Setting up on the Tier 4 booking system

You must verify a Tier 4 student's documents before you can place a request for them to be engaged in work. You can find out more information on requesting approval to engage a new hourly paid worker.

Once your request has been approved, your employee can be set up on the Tier 4 booking system.

The Tier 4 Booking System will then generate an email to the prospective employee outlining the numbers of hours you have booked them to work for, and a timesheet. Students will be asked to complete this timesheet and submit it for approval once the work has been completed. You should submit this timesheet to Payroll for approval.