Skip to main content

What to do if you or your housemate develops COVID-19 symptoms

As we adapt our service in line with the latest government guidance on COVID-19, this information is subject to change.

When should you self-isolate

If you have symptoms or a positive test

If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection, including COVID-19, and a high temperature or feel unwell, try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people until you feel well enough to resume normal activities and no longer have a high temperature.

If you have a positive COVID-19 test result, you are advised to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days, which is when you are most infectious.

If you have symptoms or test positive, and need support to self-isolate, please e-mail

Further information can be found on the UK Government webpages

If someone in your household receives a positive test result

You do not need to isolate if a member of your household receives a positive test. If you develop symptoms or receive a positive test you should follow Government advice and stay home (see above).

Cleaning and waste removal services during self-isolation

Cleaning and waste removal will not take place if a member of the household has reported to us they are isolating.

How we can support you through your isolation period

We can support you through your isolation period. Find out what support is available to you and how you can continue your academic studies.

Food, drink and other household necessities

If you are unable to get food, drink or other necessities such as toilet paper, prescriptions or mail whilst you are self-isolating, please contact us at

You can still receive takeaway food and grocery deliveries from supermarkets whilst you are isolating.

Support with your studies

If you have any questions or concerns while studying during self-isolation, you can contact your Director of Studies or Personal Tutor for advice. We publish a list of Directors of Studies if you're unsure who to contact.

Support is also available online through the Library and Academic Skills Centre.

Other support

If you need urgent help contact Security on 666 on a campus landline or 01225 383999 on a mobile. You can also email or use the SafeZone app.

If you have any concerns about your wellbeing while self-isolating you can speak to our Wellbeing Service.

If you have any queries, please contact us