Dr Maria Garcia Acting Head of the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies
Dr Maria Garcia is responsible for the research, teaching and strategic planning of the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies.
Maria was appointed Acting Head of the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies in August 2020.
- Politics of trade and economic governance
- EU Trade Policy (and Brexit)
- EU-Latin America/EU-Asia relations/EU-Australasia relations
- New types of trade agreements (TTIP, CPTPP, RCEP)
- Values and trade policy
- Labour, environment and gender clauses in trade agreements
- International political economy
- GW4 Wales and the South West Facing Brexit: Business, society and regional influence
- ESRC Seminar Series on Economic Governance and Integration through Free Trade Agreements (GIFTA) (completed)
Maria held a senior Marie Curie Fellowship at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand prior to coming to Bath, and worked at the University of Nottingham before that. She was Director of Studies for Postgraduate Taught Programmes (Politics and International Relations) from 2014 to 2017, and Deputy Head of Department from the end of 2018 to summer 2020. She has also held short-term visiting fellowships at the Australian National University and Monash University.
She has a longstanding association with the University Association of Contemporary European Studies (UACES), where she has served as elected committee member (2014 to 2017) and elected secretary (2017 to 2020).