Baroness Ruby McGregor-Smith CBE Appointed Member
Will undertake the responsibilities of members of governing bodies as set out in the CUC Guide for Members of Higher Education Governing Bodies in the UK.
Ruby was until recently Chief Executive of Mitie, having been appointed in 2007. She is one of a small number of women to have held the position of Chief Executive in a FTSE 250 or FTSE 100 and was the first Asian woman to be appointed in such a role within that group of companies. She joined Mitie in 2002 as the Group Financial Director and became its Chief Operating Officer in 2005. Ruby studied Economics at Kingston University and qualified as an accountant, training at BDO Stoy Hayward.
A number of other roles and charitable/community interests have been held by Ruby, including:
- Non-Executive Director of the Department of Education
- Independent Non-Executive Director of PageGroup plc; Chairman of its Audit Committee and member of the Nomination and Remuneration Committees
- UK Government Department for Culture, Media and Sport: Non-Executive Director
- UK Trade and Investment: Business Ambassador for the United Kingdom
- CBI: Chair of the Public Services Strategy Board and Member of the Presidents Committee
- Business in the Community: Member of the Board of Trustee Directors
- Women's Business Council: Chair, 2012-2014.
Ruby has received many awards and recognition associated with her work, including:
- 2008- winner of GG2 Leadership and Diversity Awards (Hammer Award), awarded to a person who has broken through the glass ceiling -2010 - winner of the Scottish Widows and DODS Woman in Public Life Awards (Business Women of the Year), awarded to the most influential business women identified to have shown creativity, determination, dedication and talent innovation in business
- 2011 - winner of the Asian Achievers Awards, an award recognising and honouring the Asian woman who has made the most significant mark in any chosen field and, National Business Awards UK, which is the highest accolade presented at the awards for an individual who demonstrates outstanding achievement, leadership, vision and business acumen
In 2011 Ruby was given an Honorary Doctorate by Kingston University in recognition of her achievements as CEO of a FTSE-250 company and within the business community and an Honorary Degree by the University of the West of England in recognition of her significant national and local contribution to business.
In 2012 Ruby was awarded a CBE in the New Year Honours for services to business and diversity in business.
In 2015 Ruby was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Cranfield University for services to the energy industry.
Ruby is married with two children.