Ghislaine Dell Careers Consultant
One-to-one careers advice appointments, group workshops and skills training.
- I am the Faculty Careers Adviser for Engineering & Design and work closely with the Faculty Placement team.
- I deliver workshops and skills training to all students, and enjoy making sessions interactive, accessible and relevant to the audience – there are no stupid questions!
- I’m interested in evolving the service to work in the best and most effective way possible to support students, embracing change and responding to new developments in the graduate labour market.
- I work with employability colleagues across the university to ensure students have the best career development possible during their time at Bath.
- I have a special interest in supporting students with disabilities and in widening access and participation in general.
When I was younger I wanted to be a scientist and I did that for 15 years, including a degree, PhD and 3 research contracts on varied subjects such as genomic imprinting and glucose transport. I came into Careers work to develop careers support for researchers – I wanted to put in place all the things I had wanted while a PhD student and postdoc.
My real highlights over ten years as a Careers Consultant are the times that I’ve helped a student realise that they have more to offer than they thought – uncovering all of the skills and experiences they thought were not important enough – or overcome nerves around interviews and presentations. I get a real kick from hearing I’ve boosted students’ career confidence. I’ve worked with this amazing team for many years now and am truly lucky to have such committed and caring colleagues. I’m also a complete geek about everything STEM (I used to be a molecular biologist) and regularly get excited about the amazing projects our students work on!
When I’m not in work I eat biscuits, drink coffee, read (I love historical novels and books set in other nations and cultures), chat with my family, and help run a Guide unit.
I have a degree in Biochemistry and Toxicology, a PhD in Clinical Biochemistry and a PGDip in Careers Education, Information and Guidance in Higher Education.