Professor Stephen Emmitt BA(Hons), Dip Arch, PhD, MA(Prof Ed), Architect Head of Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering
Stephen is responsible for teaching, research and strategic planning in the Department.
Professor Stephen Emmitt was appointed as a Professor of Architectural Practice in the Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering in 2014, and has been the Head of Department since 2016.
- Director of the Centre for Advanced Studies in Architecture (CASA)
- Leader of the PhD by Practice for mid-career professionals
- Editor-in-Chief of Building Research & Information (BRI)
- Member of CIB’s Working Group W096 Architectural Management
- Process innovations
- Collaborative working
- Improving the interface between design and realisation phases
- Lean construction
- Industrialisation of construction
This person is available to supervise research degree projects
Stephen Emmitt’s research and teaching interests cover design, construction and collaborative working, particularly in architectural management and technology.
Practical experience underpins his love of research, collaborative working and improving the interface between design and realisation. He started as a design manager in architectural practices, introducing process innovations to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
After a PhD at Manchester he was awarded his first chair in 2003 at the Technical University of Denmark, before being appointed Professor of Architectural Technology at Loughborough, in 2007. A prolific author, he’s also secured and managed research grants that included the space between organisations, collaborative design management, lean construction and the industrialisation of construction.
In 2010, Stephen won the Loughborough University enterprise award. He also initiated and has subsequently managed the Detail Design in Architecture (DDiA) international network.
- BA(Hons) Architectural Design, University of Brighton
- Diploma in Architecture, University of Brighton
- MSc Professional Education