Annual energy usage and environment reports
Reports on our progress in meeting our sustainability targets.
Summary for 2019
- Electricity consumed down 2% over the last 2 years despite two major new buildings being built (4.5% or £160k worth of improvement if these were taken into account).
- Energy and water consumption lower than 12 years ago despite significant growth:
- Electricity use per m2 floor area 26% lower
- Gas use per m2 floor area 28% lower
- Water use per m2 floor area 42% lower
- Saving £1.5m annually
- Carbon emissions down 22% since 2005. Emissions per m2 building floor area are down 42% over the same period.
- Self-generated electricity now accounts for 9% of our total use – our Combined Heat and Power plants generated £300k of electricity this year, enough to power 600 houses, while also recycling their waste heat on site.
- 4274 bags of charity donations collected and donated to British Heart Foundation instead of going to landfill, raising £60k from unwanted food, clothing, crockery and appliances.
- Electricity costs to rise significantly; energy bills likely to increase by £1-2m over next 3-4 years due to price increases and planned University expansion.
- University continues to operate with 100% green renewable electricity supply, now across whole estate.
- A ‘Fairtrade University’ since 2009, and awarded Fairtrade Goldawards in 2018 and 2019.
- Sustainability and Citizenship is a key theme of the Curriculum Transformation project.