Advice for those affected by flight ban

A number of staff may be stranded abroad and unable to return home due to the shutdown of airspace in the UK over the last few days caused by the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

All staff who are unable to return to work as agreed should notify their immediate supervisor / line manager as soon as practically possible to confirm their position and when they expect to be able to return.

Staff who have been on annual or other leave and are unable to return will need to take this additional absence as annual leave, time in lieu, or unpaid leave which should be agreed with their manager.

Where unpaid leave is proposed this will need to be actioned through the relevant HR manager or advisor in line with the University process for this.

Staff who have been on University business and are unable to return will be expected to continue working until they are able to do so.

If managers have queries with this they should contact their HR manager or advisor.

The following is guidance for employees and postgraduates insured under University travel insurance affected by the UK flight ban.

  • Stranded employees:
    The insurance policy will cover reasonable and necessary additional travel and accommodation costs to get you back to the UK. You should attempt to get whatever assistance you can from the airline you were booked with and get any refunds that are available. The University will meet reasonable and necessary expenses incurred.
  • Forthcoming trips:
    If your forthcoming trip is cancelled you should attempt to get any refund possible, even if this is just the airport taxes. The insurance policy will cover the costs of rearranging the trip.

If you have any further queries about travel insurance please contact Simon Holt, Insurance Services Manager, on 01225 385129.

Bookmark with:

What is this?