Department of European Studies & Modern Languages, Unit Catalogue 2007/08
EU10700 Cambridge certificate of advanced English examination class
| Credits: 6 |
| Semester: 2|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims: To prepare students for Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English examination (taking the Cambridge examination at the end of the unit is optional and separate from the unit's assessment).
Having successfully completed this unit students will:
* have reached a level of English equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
* be able to communicate with confidence in English and deal with most aspects of everyday life
* be able to perform confidently in social and professional situations, and in higher education
* be able to follow abstract argumentation, for example the balancing of alternatives and the drawing a conclusion
* be able to read quickly enough to cope with the demands of an academic course
* be able to write letters, short essays and reports which show ability to communicate, giving few difficulties for the reader.
Having successfully completed this unit students will be better able to:
* learn independently.
This integrated language course covers the four language skills and includes the following:
* Reading authentic texts
* Focus on register recognition
* Vocabulary development
* Oral discussion
* Writing reports, letters and other texts
* Examination practice.