Foreign Languages Centre, Unit Catalogue 2008/09
FL10170 Spanish stage 4 semester 1 (3 credits)
| Credits: 3 |
| Semester: 1|
|Assessment: CW 100%|
Aims:The course aims to provide further consolidation of a more complex language system using authentic reading and listening materials whilst developing autonomous language use in all skill areas and extending students' cultural knowledge and awareness.
On completion of the course students will be able to
* Give clear, systematically developed descriptions and presentations on topics of general, personal or cultural interest
* Contribute to varied work and general discussions.
* Understand specific information contained in authentic audio material delivered in standard dialect.
* Read with a large degree of independence adapting style and speed of reading to different texts and purposes, and using appropriate reference sources selectively.
* Write clear detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest.
Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing in the target language - all assessed
Interpersonal skills, communication, team skills - facilitated
IT skills - facilitated
Intercultural skills - facilitated and taught
Autonomous learning - facilitated
Research and organisational skills - facilitated
Cognitive - taught
The course consolidates previously acquired language structures and skills and further develops the four core competences of listening, speaking, reading and writing. In addition, more complex language structures, specific to the target language, will be introduced, including idioms. The course will cover specific information relevant to a country where the target language is spoken and current events, including political systems or regional differences.