Research within the Urban Water Management theme of the Water Innovation and Research Centre (WIRC) @ Bath covers:
- domestic and commercial water use
- water allocation for different purposes
- water quality in relation to its intended use (water fit for purpose)
- water as a component of urban systems design
- smart buildings and cities
- the role of water in climate adaption and resilience
The number of people living in urban environments worldwide is increasing. Over 50% of the world's population lives in urban areas, and often in big or mega cities. In Europe, more than 70% of the population lives in urban areas. Economic activity in large urban deltas is predicted to quadruple in the coming decades. This growth will be hampered by fresh water availability unless we develop and implement new sustainable ways of urban water management and water governance. City management and urban water management, therefore, go hand in hand.
Our research in this area investigates how water is managed in urban environments in its broadest sense.