Get IT equipment to help you study
As a student, we can help you get specialist assistive technology equipment. You can contact us directly or get a referral from the Disability Service
Who can get help
We provide support to increase productivity for all students at the University when using technology. Our support can be of particular use to students with injuries or disabilities, including those who may have or experience:
- specific learning difficulties such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- blindness or serious visual impairment
- deafness or serious hearing impairment
- physical impairment or mobility issues
- social communication impairments such as Autistic Spectrum disorders or Asperger Syndrome
- a long-standing illness or medical condition
- a mental health condition such as anxiety disorder
How to get help
You can contact the Disability Service who will discuss how the University can help you and they may send you to us. They'll also explain how to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances, and they may grant you access to our Assistive Technology room.
That is the route we recommend, as the Disability Service can help you with a broad range of needs. However, you can also get support without referral by contacting us or by visiting us at the Service Desk in the Library.
How we can help you
When we have received your request, we'll contact you to arrange a consultation. We will discuss solutions to your needs. You can ask any questions you have and learn about what tailored equipment is available. You can also:
- try out our free and licensed software
- loan equipment and software to test or until your purchased equipment arrives
- find out about our Assistive Technology Room
The equipment can be funded by your Disabled Student Allowance. If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for a Disabled Student Allowance, for example, if you are an international student, we can direct you to free software and services. However, you will need to consider alternative funding to purchase equipment.