Insurance Services

Personal effects

The University cannot provide insurance for personal belongings that are on campus or used for work purposes.

We have to assume that the University provides you with all the equipment that you require in order to carry out your work. Therefore personal belongings used for University work is done so at the owner's risk and if insurance is necessary should be arranged through the individual’s household policy.

The only time when personal effects are covered is when the individual is travelling overseas on University business (see limits under travel insurance).

It has been known for the University to make ex-gratia payments, from University funds, for damage to personal effects that have clearly occurred as a result of or been contributed by the University's negligence. The University would not consider making such a payment for accidental damage to clothing, for example.