Dr Clare Power Academic Staff Developer
Clare is leading on initiatives to support the professional development of academic and research staff.
Clare’s main responsibilities are:
- Unit Convenor for Part 2 of the Bath Course
- delivery of the Teaching Introduction for Postgraduates
- Director of Kick Start to HE Teaching for staff
- developing initiatives and delivering events to support the professional development of academic and research staff
- supporting staff on a 1-2-1 basis in enhancing their teaching and learning practice
- a member of Staff Educational Development Association (SEDA) since 2007 and is a member of the Executive Committee since May 2013
- External examiner for the PG certificate in Higher Education Practice, Greenwich School of Management
- External Reviewer for the University of Leeds PRiSE Scheme awarding HEA Fellowship
Clare has research interests in evidencing teaching and learning in HE, assessment, e-portfolios, using smart pens to assist dyslexic and ESL students in their study and mentoring in HE.
Clare has over 20 years’ experience as a Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader teaching and supporting learning in Geography, in different higher education institutions at all undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She was on the Council of the Remote Sensing Society and the Remote Sensing and Photogrammetric Society from 1994-2004.
Since 2005 she has worked in academic staff development, initially at the Graduate School of Education, University of Bristol on the development of Academic Career Pathways, collaborating with other HE professionals to development and use the UK Professional Standards Framework, and teaching and mentoring on the Certificate in Teaching and Learning.
From 2007 she led the PG Certificate in Professional Learning in HE (PCPLHE) at Bath Spa University, developed a MA in Professional Practice in HE, and was awarded a Bath Spa University Teaching Fellowship in recognition of her work in 2010. She first accredited the PCPLHE to award FHEA in 2009 and successfully re-accredited it with the development and accreditation of the BSU Continuing Professional Development Scheme awarding HEA Fellowship in 2014. From 2015-17 she was Director of the BSU CPD Scheme and ran the Centre of Learning and Teaching Development.
- BSc (Hons) in Geography, University of Reading
- PhD in Remote Sensing and Climatology, University of Bristol
- Professional Certificate in e-Learning, Teaching and Training, University of Greenwich
- Senior Fellow of the HEA (SFHEA)
- Fellow of the Staff Educational Development Association (FSEDA)
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- Fellow of the Remote Sensing and Photogrammetric Society