Health and Safety Committee
The Health and Safety Committee advises the University Executive Committee on Health and Safety and Welfare issues.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the Health and Safety Committee, please contact Sue Stove, ext 6080.
Terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Mr Mark Humphriss||University Secretary, Chair||ex-officio|
|Mr Richard Brooks||Director of Human Resources*||ex-officio|
|Mr Mark Martin||Deputy Director of Estates*||ex-officio|
|Mr Chris Young||Head of University Health, Safety and Environment Service*||ex -officio|
|Mr Malcolm Holley||Faculty of Science, Management Representative*||ex-officio|
|Mr Brian Schofield||Head of Security Services*||ex-officio|
|Miss Sophie Hamer||Assistant Facilities Manager, Sports Development and Recreation*||ex-officio|
|Mr Julian Sulley||Faculty of Engineering and Design, Management Representative*||ex-officio|
|Mr Andrew Nash||Deputy Facilities Manager, Accommodation and Hospitality*||ex-officio|
Elected Trades Union Safety Representatives:
|Mr James Paradise||UNISON*|
|Dr Michael Carley||UCU*|
|Mrs Jo Carter||UNITE*|
|Professor Hartmut Logemann||UCU*|
|Mr Steve Nicholson||UNISON*|
Elected Staff Representatives:
|Mr Walter Guy||Technical and Experimental||2018|
|Dr Mareike Posner||Education and Research||2018|
|Dr Chris Roche||Management, Specialist and Administration||2018|
|Vacancy||Operation and Facilities Support||2018|
|Mr Will Galloway||SU Officer||2017|
- One or more other members of the UHS&E Service will attend the Committee's meetings as appropriate.
- Alternates are permitted for those asterisked
Terms of Reference
Approved by Executive Committee 16 January 2013.
- Be assured that a suitable and sufficient health and safety management system is in place for the protection and prevention of all those who may be affected by the University's activities.
- Monitor performance in respect of health, safety and wellbeing to ensure compliance with legislation as a minimum requirement.
- Consider, and take action as appropriate on, reports from staff representatives.
- Monitor effectiveness of health and safety training through the analysis of feedback evaluation and percentage of those trained.
- Provide a forum for dissemination of information, sharing best practice and relevant discussion.
- Receive accident and incident statistics and monitor action on the findings.
- Monitor the performance of audits and inspections through the receipt of regular reports identifying further action where required.
- Consider enforcement reports from the Health and Safety Executive and other external authorising bodies, supporting action as appropriate.
- Approve Health and Safety policies where these do not require the approval of the Executive Committee.