The probation period allows time for new members of staff to understand the standards required of them in their new job, as well as to receive any necessary support, encouragement and training.
Following a process improvement review into the probation process at the University and following consultation with users, we are pleased to announce the introduction of an online Probation process which will replace the need for information or paper forms to be sent either to or from the HR department while improving the guidance available.
The new process will be operated through the University’s HR & Payroll system, iTrent, and will be effective for all new employees with a start date from 1 September 2018. This new approach will cover employees undertaking the standard 6 month probation only – this is most professional staff and research associates.
What are the benefits of the new system?
- Help ensure probation is conducted consistently across the University
- Ensure probation is conducted in an efficient & effective way
- Improve governance and provide greater control and visibility
What are the main changes?
- Automatic emails will be sent to both managers & employees letting them know when reviews are due & how to undertake the three stages of probation (start, mid and end)
- Line managers will upload completed forms into the iTrent System, via MSS, helping to ensure personal data is kept securely & in line with recent GDPR changes
More about this new process will be available on the probation webpages from 1 September.