What's the purpose of the upgrade
The upgrade will bring the next generation of wireless infrastructure to campus - Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
When is the upgrade taking place
Tuesday 13 July at 8am.
What are the benefits of Wi-Fi 6
- Higher bandwidth (increased data transfer rate)
- Increased capacity (number of people who can use the network at one time)
- Increased performance in environments with many connected devices
- Improved power efficiency
What you need to do
A small number of devices won't be compatible with the Intel drivers (software) for Wi-Fi 6. If this is your device, you won’t be able to see the Wi-Fi networks in your connection list (eduroam, legacy or Wi-Fi guest).
A simple update of your device drivers will resolve this issue. You can either:
Download and update the drivers yourself - if you know how:
- connect to the Wi-Fi (eduroam) either in the Library Helpdesk area or the Virgil Cafe area from 8am on Tuesday 13 July. The access points in these areas will not be updated to Wi-Fi 6 (for the time being)
- go to connect.bath.ac.uk and follow the "set up eduroam" option. This will run a check on your current drivers and tell you if they require updating
- Update your drivers in your normal way
Request help from the IT Helpdesk who will update your device for you
We thank you for your patience, whilst we work to improve the Wi-Fi network across campus.