The Doctoral Celebration Evening, organised by the Doctoral College, recognised the efforts of both students and staff within the doctoral community. Professor Jeremy Bradshaw, Pro-Vice Chancellor (International and Doctoral) and Professor Cathryn Mitchell, Academic Director (Doctoral College) both paid tribute to individual students and staff who have gone above and beyond and announced the results of several University award schemes.
If you were unable to make the event, you can watch the recording.
You will find a list of the winners of the various award schemes below, and you can also read our celebration brochure given to all recipients of awards.
Three Minute Thesis Competition
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ). PhD students have three minutes to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its significance. 3MT challenges students to consolidate their ideas and research discoveries so they can be presented concisely to a non-specialist audience.
The winner of our 3MT® final this year was Mike Richardson from the Department of Psychology and SWDTP with his presentation 'Seeing with the tongue'.
Second place went to Bas Lodewijks from the Department of Mathematical Sciences with his presentation 'Six degrees of COVID: Improving models for complex networks'
Third place went to Sandra McHugh from the Department of Chemistry and CSCT with her presentation 'How can we make pharmaceutical drugs more efficient in the body?' Thanks to all those who took part in 3MT 2021.
Excellence in Doctoral Supervision Prize 2021
Each year this prize is awarded to a supervisor or supervisory team who have demonstrated exceptional performance in doctoral supervision. Two nominees were awarded the Prize in 2021:
- Prof Toby Jenkins, Department of Chemistry
- Dr Simon Lewis, Department of Chemistry
Congratulations to the other six members of staff who made it through to the final selection panel:
- Prof James Betts, Department for Health
- Dr Rob Branston, School of Management
- Dr Emma Emanuelsson-Paterson, Department of Chemical Engineering
- Prof Sarah Halligan, Department of Psychology
- Dr Paul Shepherd, Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Dr Ru Xie, School of Management
Doctoral Recognition Awards 2021
The Doctoral Recognition Awards aim to recognise students and staff who have contributed to enhancing the doctoral student experience.
- Katy Brown, Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies, SWDTP
- Annabel Burnley, Department of Psychology
- Oscar Bryan, Department of Computer Science, Art-AI
- Russell Davies, Department for Health
- Fadoua Govaerts, Department of Education
- Catriona Gray, Department of Computer Science, Art-AI
- Nahory Hernandez Mancilla, Department for Health
- Oyinkansola Ige, School of Management
- Anna Kinsella, Department of Chemistry
- Noorullah Kuchai, Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, dCarb
- Aida Maaz, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Rosie McGuire, Department of Psychology, SWDTP
- Anneka Mitchell, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Jon Noble, Department of Chemical Engineering, CSCT
- Katie Phillips, Department of Mathematical Sciences, SAMBa
- Lorenzo Caggiano, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Lucy Clarkson, Department of Psychology
- Nikki Coghill, Department for Health
- Daniel Davies, School of Management
- Matthew Grayson, Department of Chemistry
- Nancy Harding, School of Management
- Sarah Halligan, Department of Psychology
- Abbie Jordan, Department of Psychology
- Aurelien Mondon, Department of Social & Policy Sciences
- Sarah Moore, Department of Social & Policy Sciences
- Sarah Parry, Department of Computer Science
- Karin Petrini, Department of Psychology
- Emma Solomon-Moore, Department for Health