Terms of reference
- Formulating and recommending University policies and procedures relating to equality and diversity to Senate and Council.
- To challenge the University as an institution in terms of our practice, approach and development of equality and diversity, and in particular where progress is limited or, in support of under‐represented or disadvantaged individuals and groups.
- Overseeing the formulation of institutional action plans to ensure that equality and diversity policies are effectively translated into programmes of action.
- Advising the relevant University decision-making bodies and officers: on strategic policy developments relating to equality and diversity, their integration into the University’s overall strategic plans and on their implementation; the desirability and priority of actions relating to equality and diversity which have resource implications.
- Encouraging and assisting departments in the effective integration and implementation of University equality and diversity policies and procedures.
- Establishing project groups as required to investigate, report on and implement work on specific dimensions of equality and diversity issues.
- Maintaining under review and, where necessary, proposing revision to University policies, procedures and plans relating to Equality and Diversity.
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation and effectiveness of the University's equality and diversity policy, procedures and plans.
- Keeping under review all areas of University practice in regard to equality and diversity.
- Ensuring University equality and diversity policies and procedures are effectively disseminated and promoted.
- Maintaining appropriate consultation and communication routes with all relevant groups in the University and with external bodies in pursuance of the terms of reference of the committee.
Appointment of Chair
The Chair of the committee will be a Deputy Vice-Chancellor or a Pro-Vice-Chancellor nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.
See Standing Orders for Joint Committees of Council and Senate. There is provision for up to three co-opted members, sought on the basis of their expertise in the area, who may include members external to the University.
There shall be a quorum at meetings of one-third of the membership. See Standing Orders for Joint Committees of Council and Senate.
Rules for voting
There are no specified rules for voting.
Minutes are submitted to Council, Senate and Equality and Diversity Network.
|Owner:||Equality and Diversity Committee|
|Approval Date:||7 July 2005, revised by Council 29 June 2006 and 1 August 2006|
|Approved By:||Executive Committee|
|Date of last review:||17 June 2020|