The below resources are in addition to the main personal tutoring guidance.
UK Advising and Tutoring (UKAT)
The UKAT association is a body of professional practitioners and researchers interested in all aspects of student advising and personal tutoring in Higher Education in the UK.
Articles and Books
A variety of articles and books available to further your knowledge:
- Lochtie, D. et al., 2018. Effective personal tutoring in higher education, St Albans: Critical Publishing. Available online via the University Library
- Lochtie, D., 2022. The Higher Education Personal Tutor's and Advisor's Companion : Translating Theory Into Practice to Improve Student Success. Available in print version from the University Library
- QAA Resources for supporting successful student transitions
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Students Struggling With Mental Health Often Confide in Professors. They Want More Guidance on How to Help.
- The Guardian ‘Be interested, be curious, hear what’s not said’: how I learned to really listen to people
- WonkHE Personal tutor sessions can be a place to overcome undergraduate myths
To get an idea of some of the challenges different students face while at Bath (and how to support them), it is useful to subscribe to some of the university blogs, such as:
- Personal Tutoring blog - Top tips, support and guidance for personal tutors
- Be Well blog - A health blog bringing you tips, news and student experiences about creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion blog
- Student blogs - which include the experiences of under-represented student groups