Terms of reference
- To consider nominations for the annual Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize, creating a shortlist of finalists (usually 4) to present their research at a dedicated event, and to award the winner.
- To recommend to Senate the criteria for prize nominations.
- To apply the prize criteria fairly and consistently, addressing unconscious bias and ensuring that decisions are consistent with equality, diversity and inclusion considerations.
- To approve revoking prizes to individuals where situations may arise post-award.
- To make an annual report to Senate on the Committee’s activity.
- To conduct an annual effectiveness review.
Total membership: Membership shall consist of the four Associate Deans for Research from the Faculties and School of Management, as well as the previous year’s winner, if still at the University
Chair: Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research)
Ex-officio members: Four Associate Deans for Research from the School of Management, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and Design and Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Other members: Previous year’s winner (if still at the University)
Attendance: An equality, diversity and inclusion representative, when available
Secretary: Secretary to the Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize Committee (Governance Team)
In the absence of any specific rules, the procedure is as set out in the Standing Orders of Senate.
Quorum: One-third of membership, three voting members
Co-option: See Senate Standing Orders 16(ii) and (iii)
Alternates: See Senate Standing Orders 16(ii) and (iii)
Rules for voting: There are no specified rules for voting
Frequency of meetings: One meeting and one presentation event per year
Minutes: Submitted to members and decisions are reported to Senate
Owner: Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize Committee
Version number: 1
Approval Date: 8 June 2022
Approved By: Senate
Date of last review: 8 June 2022
Read more about the Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize.