Terms of reference
- To consider nominations for the annual Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize, creating a shortlist of finalists (usually 4) to present their research at a dedicated event, and to award the winner.
- To recommend to Senate the criteria for prize nominations.
- To apply the prize criteria fairly and consistently, addressing unconscious bias and ensuring that decisions are consistent with equality, diversity and inclusion considerations.
- To approve revoking prizes to individuals where situations may arise post-award.
- To make an annual report to Senate on the Committee’s activity.
- To conduct a biennial effectiveness review.
Chair: A Pro-Vice-Chancellor or nominee
Ex-officio members: All member of the Committee are ex-officio. This includes the Academic Director of the Doctoral College, Director of the Doctoral College and Associate PVC Research (Doctoral); the Associate Deans for Research from the School of Management, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and Design and Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences; the previous year's prize winner and the Chair of the Research Staff Working Group.
All new members are subject to the approval of the Vice-Chancellor, which shall be reported to Senate.
Attendance: Any other staff members, at the discretion of the Chair
Secretary: Secretary and member of the Governance Team
In the absence of any specific rules, the procedure is as set out in the Standing Orders of Senate.
Quorum: One-third of membership, three voting members
Frequency of meetings: One meeting and one presentation event per year
Minutes: Submitted to members and decisions are reported to Senate
Owner: Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize Committee
Version number: 2
Approval Date: 8 June 2022, updated 19 April 2023
Approved By: Senate
Date of last review: 19 April 2023
Read more about the Peter Troughton Research Staff Prize.