Terms of reference
- to devise strategies to assist the University in meeting its research objectives as articulated in the University Strategy
- to identify and foster the means by which the University can meet emerging research opportunities, with the particular goal of increasing and maximising research income
- to monitor and review research performance across the University, ensuring congruence across university, faculty, school and departmental research strategies and plans, and to advise Senate and Council on the University's research strategy, priorities and performance
- to advise the Vice-Chancellor/Executive Board on an appropriate strategy for the University submissions to the Research Excellence Framework and to oversee the arrangements for the preparation of these submissions
- to advise on the development of tools and processes to identify, document and enhance the impact of research conducted across the University
- to advise on the effective publication, dissemination and communication of research, internally and externally
- to monitor knowledge transfer and commercialisation activities as a means of informing research strategies and vice versa
- to receive annual reports from the Boards of Studies on any changes to Research Centres and appointments of Directors/Deputy Directors, and to report these changes to Council and Senate for noting
- to advise on any research matters referred to the committee by Executive or Senate
- to serve as the advisory body for the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- to advise on new initiatives and opportunities in the enterprise and innovation area
- to monitor and review activity in the enterprise and innovation area, including the Knowledge Exchange Strategy
- to oversee research integrity across the University, including monitoring compliance with the Concordat to Support Research Integrity
The term of office for appointed members of the committee is three years (renewable). In the event that an appointed member ceases to be eligible to serve, a replacement to serve for the remainder of their term of office will be appointed (renewable).
Co-option is at the discretion of the committee in accordance with Senate Standing Order 16.
Alternates are permitted in accordance with Senate Standing Order 17.
There shall be a quorum at meetings of one-third of the membership of the committee. See Senate Standing Order 16.
Rules for Voting
See Senate Standing Orders.
Minutes are submitted to Senate.
Owner: Research Committee
Approval Date: 16 November 2016
Approved By: Senate
Date of last review: 16 November 2016