Equip yourself to work as a proficient Chinese-English translator and business interpreter on this master's course.
Our MA Translation with Business Interpreting (Chinese) is a highly competitive master's, ideal for those with an interest and aptitude for translation or business interpreting.
You may be working already as a translator and interpreter in mainland China, Taiwan, the UK or elsewhere, or looking to establish yourself with the specialist skills needed to excel in this profession.
The focus of the course is on written translation from English to Chinese and Chinese to English, as well as business interpreting between English and Chinese. In particular, you'll develop translation and interpreting skills suited to working in business and tailored to market needs in mainland China, Taiwan, the UK and other regions.
The course is highly practical so you'll have plenty of opportunities to hone and develop your skills. You will:
- gain extensive experience in translating a wide range of texts, from general business communications to specialist and technical materials
- take part in weekly simulated 'real life' business liaison scenarios to enhance your interpreting and negotiation capabilities
- gain practical experience of translation management software
- develop sought-after and important business skills such as editing and proofreading
- gain useful insights into marketing yourself as a freelance translator and interpreter
Learning and teaching
Our teaching is highly regarded. You will be taught by experienced tutors who have worked as professional translators and/or interpreters; many have interpreted for heads of state and government ministers and work for global organisations such as the EU and UN. As such, they can share a wealth of experience with you and provide useful connections to help with potential job opportunities and internships.
We also regularly arrange visits from representatives of the language services of international organisations, government departments and commercial enterprises, to give you insights into their working practices.
Through our extensive network of contacts we try to organise some internal or external training or practical translation, editing or proofreading experience for students with the language services of international organisations, at the university or in the freelance market. These opportunities provide an invaluable insight into the work of professional linguists and are highly valued by employers. However, they are not compulsory or guaranteed.
The MA Translation with Business Interpreting is a highly vocational course that will equip you with a variety of transferable skills, including interpersonal, communication and organisational skills. Our graduates have used these skills to access a variety of professions, including interpreting, translation, editing, teaching, accounting and further study.
Our graduates have gone on to work for the following organisations:
- Net-a-Porter (Product Editorial Team), London
- Bank of China, Beijing
- DS Avocats Law Firm, Beijing
- SPD Silicon Valley Bank, Shanghai
- RIFA Global Entertainment, China
- Ernst & Young, Bristol & London
- Menicon (Trilingual Coordinator)
We also have an extremely active alumni network and tight-knit community that shares career advice. This enables us to help with short-term interpreting and translation opportunities supported by recent graduates.