Develop your knowledge of the intersection between gender and politics. You’ll explore the challenges of gender and identity representation across the globe.
Gender and identity continue to grow in importance as political issues. Because of this, we're living in a time where a full understanding of how these fascinating topics combine and intersect is vital.
Throughout this course, which is one of only a few in the UK that focuses on a combination of gender and politics, you’ll critically analyse the crossover between these subjects.
By exploring identity in the context of national and international politics, you’ll put yourself in a strong position for a policymaking career.
You’ll gain insights into contemporary issues related to gender across the planet. Through examining how gender and identity intersect with politics, policymaking, international relations and political theory, you’ll enhance your understanding of some of the most pressing challenges faced in society.
Other topics you’ll cover include:
- the politics of gender equality
- the part gender can play in the peace and reconciliation of countries
- gender in political representation
- the steps needed to make electoral organisations more gender equal
- gender in transitional justice
Watch our webinar about this course
Learn from experts in the field
You’ll learn from experts in politics and gender studies, as well as staff in the wider Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies community. This is home to our Gender and Sexuality Research Group and a number of research-active teaching staff with expertise in various aspects of politics and international studies.
Gain important career skills
Our master's is one of a few in the UK that focuses specifically on politics and gender. This gives you the chance to stand out with a qualification in this important area.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain:
- a deep understanding of how gender dynamics influence policymaking and political theory at a local, regional, national and international level
- a greater professional network by engaging with leading researchers through workshops, events and guest lectures
- practical skills in preparation for a number of workplace roles through the critical analysis of real-world case studies, in-class role-play activities, and active discussions and debates about current challenges
Studying this course is excellent preparation for working in gender policy roles. You could take your expertise into international organisations, multinational corporations, public bodies or think tanks.
You could also take your studies further to doctoral level.